Do you hire vehicles with a driver?

No – we only hire the vehicles, all of which are ‘Self-Drive’.

Do you sell vans, minibuses and trucks?

Yes – we sell vehicles via our ‘sister company’, Maun Motors Commercial Sales, who are based in Huthwaite, near Sutton-in-Ashfield.

Please contact them with any sales enquiries on 01623 554747 or browse the stock-list on their website at

How old do I need to be – to hire a vehicle from you?

There is no minimum age if the vehicle & driver is covered by the Hirer’s own insurance (the minimum driving age will be stipulated within the insurance policy).

If hiring a vehicle with insurance cover included from Maun Motors (e.g. as a “private hirer”), the minimum age is 25 with two years’ driving experience.

Can I add an additional driver?

Yes – this is free of charge. Any additional drivers must complete all relevant paperwork at our hire depot.

Can I tow a trailer with the vehicle I hire?

If you hire a vehicle using Maun Motors’ insurance cover, unfortunately, you will NOT be insured to tow a trailer. This is regardless of whether or not your hired vehicle is fitted with a towbar. This is a condition of our insurers and, regrettably, is beyond our control.

If you wish to tow with a vehicle hired from Maun Motors Self Drive, you must arrange your own insurance cover and this cover must implicitly specify that towing with the hired vehicle is allowed.
Please also specify at time of booking if you do wish to tow, so that we can endeavour to arrange a suitably equipped vehicle for you.

Do you hire vehicles to travel overseas?

No – our hire vehicles are restricted to use on the British Mainland only, as we are unable to offer support, breakdown response and customer services overseas.

Can you supply vehicles with automatic transmission?

Many of our lorries (7.5 tonne GVW and above) are automatic but it is rare that we have automatic vans or minibuses available. Please enquire with our Hire Desk to check availability of automatic transmission in your requested vehicle type.

If you wish to hire a vehicle for a long period of time (e.g. ‘Contract Hire’) then we may be able to source an automatic variant for you. Please ask our staff for further information.

Will the hire vehicle have a charger/power point for my Sat Nav system?

Most modern vans and minibuses feature at least 2 x 12V power sockets (‘cigarette lighter’ style) on the dashboard and many of our trucks feature both 12V & 24V power sockets for devices (Voltage should be indicated on or near power socket. If no voltage is stated, assume it is 24 Volts and only use 24V-rated adapters).

If you have difficulty in locating charging sockets or any other feature of the vehicle, please speak to a member of our hire team.

Are the vehicles you hire difficult to drive?

Modern light commercials and vans are really similar to private cars – with the usual dashboard, gadgets, gear stick and power steering, so they don’t feel that different inside the cabin. See our blog post for further info.
The main difference you will find between driving a car and a van (especially ‘Long Wheelbase’ vans, ‘Jumbo’ sized vans, Lutons, Curtain-Sides and Dropsides), is the size!

Specifically: the vehicle width, length of the ‘wheelbase’ (the term for the distance between the centre of the front and rear axles) and the length of the rear ‘overhang’ (any part of the vehicle to the rear of the back axle). These are all typically much larger than those of a car, so extra care must be taken on tight bends, roundabouts, junctions and during parking & overtaking manoeuvres.

Drive with extra care – take bends and junctions a little slower, always use your mirrors and adapt your driving style to turn slightly later & less severely than in a car – and you should avoid the most common minor collisions suffered by inexperienced and occasional van drivers.

Many modern lorries feature automatic transmissions and benefit from numerous driving mirrors for enhanced driver vision.
Most people hiring these larger vehicles are professional HGV drivers, with Driver CPC training and vast amounts of experience. However, we also hire some 7.5t GVW lorries to private customers who hold the relevant driving licence categories. Remember, these trucks are much larger than most vehicles on the road so, if you require some additional orientation with the vehicle controls or other assistance before driving, please ask our hire staff when collecting your vehicle, who will be happy to help.

Is there anything I can do to help speed up the process of hiring a vehicle?

We always endeavour to make the process as quick and efficient as possible, but you can create your Driving Licence ‘Check Code’ (which is required to ascertain eligibility) at the following Government website:

What vehicles can I drive on a standard car driving licence?

Anyone with a standard UK Driving Licence (Category B) can drive any car, van or minibus, weighing no more than 3500kg and carrying no more than eight passengers (this can increase to 16 passengers, provided you are not driving for hire & reward, and that the GVW of the vehicle is below 3500kg).

To drive anything larger, drivers need Category C or C1 (for goods vehicles over 3500kg GVW) and Category D or D1 (to drive minibuses and buses with more than 8 passenger seats, for hire & reward).

UK Licence Holders with Driving Test passed BEFORE 1st January 1997:
Category C1 entitlement was usually automatically added when your driving test was passed, up until 1st January 1997. This entitles the holder to drive LGV vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of up to 7500kg (7.5 tonnes).

UK Licence Holders with Driving Test passed AFTER 1st January 1997:
From January 1997, Category C1 is no longer applied when a driving test is first passed. All drivers who passed their test from 1997 onwards must undergo additional training and testing to obtain category C1 entitlement.

You can find more information about driving licence categories on the Government website at: If in doubt, please check your driving licence. You can also check your own driving category entitlements at

Can I drive a Minibus on my licence?

Minibuses with UP TO 8 PASSENGER SEATS (9 seat Minibuses) – can be driven by anyone who holds a full UK ‘Category B‘ Licence.
(This can increase to 16 passengers, provided you are not driving for hire & reward – e.g. for business purposes – and that the GVW of the vehicle is below 3500kg).

To drive a vehicle with OVER 8 PASSENGER SEATS, for business use, drivers require Category D1 or Category D on their licence.

More info on the Government website:

Can I drive a van on my licence?

All drivers who hold a standard Category B UK driving licence can legally drive any van, provided the maximum Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is no greater than 3500kg (3.5 tonnes) and provided it has no more than 8 passenger seats. More than 90% of vans in the UK meet both these criteria, but it is always worth checking first.

More info on the Government website:

Do I require valid Driver CPC to hire a 7.5 tonne lorry or minibus?

This depends on what you’ll be doing with the vehicle. If you’ll be using the vehicle for entirely personal or social reasons, then you won’t need Driver CPC. If you’re driving professionally, where the act of driving forms a main part of your job, then you will most likely require Driver CPC.

The following information on Driver CPC is taken directly from the DVSA (.gov) website (correct as of Ovtober 2018):

Who needs to have Driver CPC?
You must have Driver CPC if you drive a lorry, bus or coach as the main part of your job. You must do 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years to keep it.

You don’t need Driver CPC if you:
don’t want to drive for a living, for example, you want to drive for a hobby.

drive in other certain situations, such as taking your vehicle for a pre-booked annual test (MOT)

You can be fined up to £1,000 for driving professionally without Driver CPC.

About these examples
These examples tell you if the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency thinks you need Driver CPC. However, only a court can make a decision on Driver CPC rules. Get legal advice if you’re not sure if you need Driver CPC.

Non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods for personal use
You don’t need Driver CPC if you’re driving vehicles carrying goods, materials or passengers on a non-commercial basis for personal use.

Example 1: self-drive lorry to move home

A lorry driver hires a self-drive lorry to move home.
They don’t need Driver CPC, as they’re transporting their own goods for personal use.

Example 2: transporting something as a favour
A lorry owner-operator transports a friend’s new boat from the manufacturer to a holiday home. They do this as a favour and don’t charge a fee.
They don’t need Driver CPC, as it’s non-commercial carriage of goods.
They would need to satisfy any enforcement staff that their journey was non-commercial if they were stopped.

Example 3: transporting farm labourers around a farm
A driver has a category D1 driving licence and drives a minibus (category D1) with a ‘101 – not for hire or reward’ driving licence code. They transport farm labourers between fields, using public roads.
They need Driver CPC, as it’s not non-commercial carriage of passengers.

Carrying material or equipment for use in your work
You don’t need Driver CPC if you’re carrying equipment or material that you use in the course of your work, and driving the vehicle isn’t your main activity.

Example 1: mobile lorry fitter
A driver is a mobile lorry fitter. They drive a vehicle from an operator’s site to another site where they take their tools from the vehicle to do their main activity of servicing lorries.
They don’t need Driver CPC.
If they use an engine diagnostic kit that’s fixed within the vehicle, they still don’t need Driver CPC, as the vehicle is carrying material or equipment for their use on-site.

Example 2: self-employed bricklayer
A self-employed bricklayer drives their lorry to a building site with a load of bricks. They unload the bricks and use them in the construction of a house.
They don’t need Driver CPC, as driving the lorry isn’t their main activity and they’re carrying materials for their use in the course of bricklaying.

Example 3: power generator fixed to the bed of a vehicle
A driver drives a lorry with a power generator fixed to the bed of the vehicle, but driving isn’t their main activity. They drive to road maintenance sites where the generator is used to power site equipment. They do various tasks at the site, including monitoring the generator to make sure it’s working correctly.
They don’t need Driver CPC.

Example 4: delivering car parts to retail outlets
A driver works in a car parts supply company’s stores department. Occasionally, they need to drive one of the company’s lorries to deliver parts to retail outlets.
They need Driver CPC, even though the driving takes up a small amount of their working time, as it’s carrying materials for someone else’s use.

Example 5: farmer transporting livestock for auction
A farmer transports some of their livestock to a local cattle market for auction around once a month.
They need Driver CPC, as they’re not carrying materials or equipment for their use in the course of their work -they’re carrying livestock intended for sale.

Example 6: farmer driving a lorry to repair farm fences
A farmer drives a lorry on public roads around their farm twice a month to repair fences. The vehicle carries the tools and materials they need to make these repairs.
They don’t need Driver CPC, as they’re carrying materials to be used by them in the course of their work repairing fences.

Example 7: farm labourer transporting other workers
A farm labourer drives a minibus (with a D1 driving licence) twice a day to take other farm workers from the local town to various fields on the farm. The driving takes up a small part of their day – most of their time is spent picking crops.
They need Driver CPC, as they’re transporting other labourers – they’re not carrying materials or equipment.

Example 8: farm labourer transporting livestock and crops
A farm labourer drives a lorry on public roads around a farm to transport livestock and crops.
They need Driver CPC, as they’re carrying goods intended for sale – they’re not carrying materials or equipment.

Example 9: mobile crane operator
A mobile crane operator drives the vehicle with the crane to a building site, where they operate the crane help build a new factory.
They don’t need Driver CPC, as their main activity isn’t driving and they’re carrying tools and materials (the crane) to be used in the course of their work.

Example 10: mechanic driving a lorry with tools and equipment
A mechanic employed by a transport company drives a lorry containing tools and equipment they need to change wheels at the roadside.
They don’t need Driver CPC, as driving isn’t their main activity, and they’re carrying tools and materials to be used in the course of their work.

More Information at:

Do I need a ‘Clean’ Driving Licence to hire a vehicle?

If hiring a vehicle with insurance included by Maun Motors, you must have a clean licence (with no more than a maximum of 8 penalty points) and no convictions for ‘serious offences’ – e.g. drink driving or insurance offences – in the past 10 years.

If hiring a vehicle using your own company insurance or fleet policy, please check your policy for the specific driving licence requirements.

What paperwork will I need to bring with me to collect a hire vehicle?

We need to see all the following documentation at the time of hire:

All drivers must produce a valid UK Driver’s Licence, held for a minimum of 12 months (longer for HGV’s and minibuses); endorsements and restrictions permitting.

All hirers must produce photographic ID – this can be your photocard driving licence, or a valid UK or EU passport, if you still have an old papaer licence.

We reserve the right to request additional ID or conduct further ID checks. These may include ID checks with external partners who may check supplied details against databases to which they have access.

Drivers using Maun Motors’ insurance require:
Drivers Licence; Licence details access/verification code from DVLA; 2 x forms of additional printed ID with name and address to match those on driving licence (see Acceptable Forms of Identification, below).

Drivers using own insurance require:
Driving Licence of person collecting vehicle, Valid company purchase order (we will verify the validity with the company, prior to releasing vehicle), Insurance Certificate and/or Cover Note from Broker, or full Insurance Broker details.

Acceptable Forms of Identification
Two further forms of identification – confirming current address i.e. bank /credit card statements, utility bills, etc. dated within the past 6-8 weeks.

Printed online utility bills, etc. are acceptable; providing that they show current address and recent date. Alternatively, online Utility Bills (but NOT Bank Statements), can be forwarded to us via e-mail from your smartphone when you collect your vehicle.

A passport is not acceptable as proof of address because it does not have a printed address on it.

How do I get an Access/Verification Code to share my driving licence details?

An Access/Verification Code can be obtained at or by telephoning 0300 083 0013, between 08:00-19:00, Monday to Friday and between 08:00-14:00 Saturday. (Choose ‘On Line Application’ option).

Please note the above also applies to ALL ADDITIONAL DRIVERS.

IMPORTANT – The access/verification codes are only valid for a single use, so please do not use the code to check your own licence details beforehand, otherwise you will need to generate another code to share your licence details with us.

Is there a 24-hour emergency telephone number I can contact?

In the event of an emergency or if you require roadside assistance, please call us on our main number, 01773 810007.

During office hours you will be put through to our Hire Desk.
Out-of-hours calls will be met by a multiple-choice menu, which includes an option to be transferred to our ‘on-call’ mechanic.

What do I do if the vehicle is stolen whilst on hire?

Firstly, you must notify the Police immediately you realise the vehicle has been stolen. Take a note of any crime reference number and the names of any Officer(s) you speak to, or who attend the scene.

As soon as the Police have been notified of the theft, you must contact Maun Motors immediately on 01773 810007. Have your vehicle registration number, crime reference number (if already allocated), location, contact name and telephone number available.

What happens in the event of a collision, incident or breakdown?

Try to make the vehicle as safe as possible (e.g. turn off ignition, turn on hazard lights, use any hazard markings available or move the vehicle to a nearby hard shoulder or other safe location). If necessary, contact the emergency services.

Please contact Maun Motors as soon as possible on 01773 810007.
Have your vehicle registration number, location, contact name and telephone number available.

What is your insurance excess?

If using Maun Motors’ insurance, our current insurance excess amounts are:
Cars & Car-Derived Vans = £250.00
Vans & Minibuses up to 3.5t GVW = £500.00
Vehicles over 3.5t GVW = £750.

If an incident or collision involves a third party and their insurance (i.e. if our hire vehicle damages another road user), the full insurance excess amount will be taken. This is the amount we pay our insurance to then pay out the balance of the claim.

If a hirer damages only our vehicle (and no other costs are incurred), then the customer would pay for the damage to our vehicle, up to the maximum amount of the insurance excess.
For example: If a customer damages a vehicle and the repair costs £100, the customer would pay £100 rather than the full excess amount.

If using your own insurance: Please check your policy for details.

What do I do if I think I’ve mis-fueled my hired vehicle?

Do NOT start your vehicle’s engine or turn on the ignition!
Please contact Maun Motors Hire on 01773 810007 immediately, having your vehicle registration number, location, contact name and telephone number available.

What do I do if a warning lamp illuminates on the dashboard of the vehicle I’ve hired?

If a RED warning lamp illuminates whilst the engine is running, please pull over and turn off your engine as soon as it is safe to do so. Then, call us on 01773 810007 immediately, with your vehicle registration number to hand.

If an AMBER or ORANGE warning lamp illuminates whilst the engine is running, you may continue your journey with care (unless a RED warning lamp illuminates, in which case see above instructions) but you must notify us immediately upon reaching your destination so that we may diagnose the issue and make appropriate recommendations.

PLEASE NOTE: It is essential that you contact us in the event of a dashboard warning lamp illuminating. Failure to contact us may result in costly damage to the vehicle – which may be charged back to you if you have failed to meet your obligations as Hirer or Driver.

How much does it cost to hire a vehicle?

It all depends on the vehicle type & size and the hire period required. Browse our website to identify the vehicle type that you’d like to hire and then call our staff, on 01773 810007, who will be happy to advise on the best prices available.

What is your minimum hire term?

If you are a “private” hirer, you can hire a vehicle from us (with insurance included), for as little as 4 hours. Our hire terms start with just a 4-hour hire period, so you don’t need to pay for a whole 24 hours’ hire if you only need a vehicle for a few hours.

If you are a company and wish to hire a vehicle with your own insurance cover, the minimum term is 24 hours.

Do I have to pay a deposit to secure a booking?

No – you just pay for the vehicle when you arrive to collect it.

What does the hire price include?

Because we hire to two distinct ‘Customer Groups’ with considerably different requirements, we have two separate pricing structures.

The vast majority of our vehicles are hired to businesses who are VAT registered and have their own comprehensive fleet insurance policy. Therefore, these customers prefer to see a price which is exclusive of VAT. (We don’t have the added cost of providing them with insurance cover, so our ‘Company/Business’ prices do not include an insurance fee).

For small businesses, sole traders, private and non-business customers, we offer a great value price which includes insurance cover and VAT.

No hidden extras
All of our hire customers can rest assured that we don’t have any ‘hidden’ charges, we don’t charge fees for credit card transactions (for non-business cards) and we don’t charge any administration fees (except when dealing with any unpaid PCNs, toll charges, fines or invoices).

Do you hire Euro 6 vehicles which can enter the Central London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ)?

Yes, we have a range of commercial vehicles available to hire which meet the Euro VI emissions regulations and are therefore suitable for use within the Central London ULEZ zone. These include vans, lorries, minibuses and tractor units.

For more information on the range of Euro 6 vehicles we have available, please view our London ULEZ Compliant Vehicle Hire page.

If I hire a vehicle – do I have to pay any toll fees (e.g. Low Emission Zone, Congestion Charge, Dartford Crossing)?

Yes – the driver/hirer is liable for paying any tolls or charges you (or the vehicle) incur, for the duration of the hire term.

By far the cheapest way to pay tolls and charges is to pay them on the same day of travel (this is usually done online and can be done in advance, in some cases, e.g. Dartford Crossing DartCharge). This ensures you avoid any late payment fees, fines (which can be several times the value of the original toll fee) and administration charges applied by us to cover our costs for dealing with unpaid tolls and fees.

Are there any other charges?

Driver-induced faults are not covered and are therefore chargeable.
These include, but are not limited to:
Filling the vehicle with the incorrect fuel (mis-fuelling) or running out of fuel, requiring a call-out.
Flat tyres, punctures or blowouts and subsequent tyre repairs or wheel change.
Lost/broken key.
Road traffic incident recovery (unless fault of 3rd party).

Hirers are liable for the insurance excess for any damage to a vehicle or claim.
If an incident or collision involves a third party and their insurance (i.e. if our hire vehicle damages another road user), the full insurance excess amount will be taken. This is the amount we pay our insurance to then pay out the balance of the claim.
If a customer damages only our vehicle (and no other costs are incurred), then the customer would pay for the damage to our vehicle, up to the maximum amount of the insurance excess.
For example: If a customer damages a vehicle and the repair costs £100, the customer would pay £100 rather than the full excess amount.

Certain items are not covered by insurance and are therefore chargeable to the hirer in full; for example (but not limited to):
windscreen damage, tyre damage/ punctures, engine damage due to lack of water, oil or any other fluids, any fuel/additive contamination (mis-fuelling), interior damage: cigarette burns, damage to seats, etc., (fair wear and tear applies).

What is your policy regarding fuel usage?

Please check the vehicle fuel level (and AdBlue level, on relevant vehicles) before leaving. Your hire vehicle will have a small amount of fuel in when you collect it. Please return it at the same level.

If the vehicle uses ‘Adblue’, it is also your responsibility to return it at the same level.

Please Note: You are fully responsible for all refuelling costs throughout the period of hire of the vehicle. You will not be reimbursed for any excess fuel left in the vehicle.

What methods of payment do you accept?

We accept all major Credit & Debit cards, including Visa and MasterCard, but excluding American Express.

For private hirers, whole or part payment of charges is required by Credit or Debit Card. Outstanding payments are taken from credit or debit cards.

Cash can be paid for hire charges and extension payments only. Deposits MUST be paid by Credit or Debit Card.

Cheques are only accepted in rare circumstances, and with prior agreement. Please telephone first if you wish to pay by cheque.

Credit Account facilities are available to our regular business hirers (subject to status, reputable trade references and credit checks). If you are a current customer and would like to apply for a credit account, please call our hire desk who will forward you an application form.

What is the procedure for returning a hire vehicle?

The vehicle together with all relevant keys, must be returned to us during office hours and the keys must be handed to a member of staff.

During normal office hours (Monday – Saturday, 9.00am-5.30pm).
Please visit the Hire Reception office to sign-in your vehicle and return the keys.

Returning a vehicle on a Sunday:
We only accept vehicle returns between 9.00am and 4.00pm, please report directly to our Security Office to sign-in your vehicle and return the keys.

Where an out-of-hours return is necessary, this must always be arranged and agreed in advance with our hire staff. Any vehicles ‘abandoned’ out-of-hours without prior agreement remain the responsibility of the hirer.

Depositing vehicle keys and documents with security staff does not constitute the end of the rental. You remain liable for any damages until a Maun Motors employee takes possession of the Vehicle, documents and keys when Maun Motors next opens for business.

What happens if I return the vehicle early /late or wish to extend the hire period?

It is very important that you contact us and let us know. We can then advise you of any additional charges and if required can arrange payment and additional insurance cover.

Additional rental charges are payable before the expiration of the current rental period. Payments are usually taken from credit or debit cards.

For any further information, please contact our rental staff.

What are Maun Motors Self Drive opening times?

Our opening times are displayed on the Contact Us page.

Our standard opening hours are:
Monday to Saturday: 7.30am – 5.30pm
Sunday: 9.00am – 4.00pm (open for vehicle returns only)

We are usually closed on Bank Holidays but if you wish to make special arrangements, to hire or return a vehicle on a Bank Holiday, please contact us in advance.

What time can I collect my vehicle?

You can collect your vehicle any time from 7.30am, Monday to Saturday, if booked in advance.

Please allow a minimum of 30 minutes from time of booking for us to prepare and check your vehicle, prior to collecting it.

Is customer parking available at Maun Motors Self Drive?

We have a limited amount of customer parking inside our Hire Depot but there is on-road parking available in the locality. This does get busy however, so we would always recommend getting a lift or arriving by public transport, whenever possible.

Do you offer a delivery and collection service?

Yes – we do offer delivery and collection of vehicles, but this is dependent upon: length of hire, vehicle type, delivery location and driver availability. This is available only when pre-authorised, please speak to our hire team to discuss further or to obtain a quote.

Do you offer Contract Hire on your vehicles?

Yes, we offer Contract Hire to business customers with whom we have an existing trading relationship through a credit account. For further information please see our contract hire page, or contact us for a quote.

My business is VAT Registered; Can I reclaim VAT on self-drive hire & contract hire vehicles?

Self-drive hire vehicles
If you hire a vehicle to replace a company vehicle that’s off the road, you can usually claim 50% of the VAT on the hire charge.
If you hire a vehicle for another reason (for example you do not have a company vehicle), you can reclaim all the VAT if all the following apply:
1) you hire it for no more than 10 days
2) it’s used only for business
3) it’s not available for private use.

Contract hire vehicles
If you lease a car, you can usually claim 50% of the VAT. You may be able to reclaim all the VAT if the car is used only for business and is not available for private use.

I’m lost! Does your website have a sitemap?

Yes, you can find our sitemap here: